If you have investigated the crossover design process in any detail, you will come to realized that there is really no such thing as a “stock” crossover. Speaker drivers never have a ruler flat SPL response and they present the amplifier with a relatively complex load rather than a simple 8 or 4 ohm impedance. From our years of design experience we know the design process involves far more than a generic measurement and a quick analysis.
• The design process begins with your goals in mind. We spend a good deal of time with you discussing your audio chain, your listening and music / home theater preferences and design goals.
• Once your goals are clear, we go to work by constructing your enclosure (or test enclosure if you are building the final version yourself). Because driver response varies widely depending on baffle width and driver location, all subsequent acoustical and electrical measurements are then performed on the exact cabinet that you will ultimately be listening to. This is by far one of the biggest advantages of the design service we offer.
• The types of measurement taken are frequency response,
( SPL response) and Impedance. We take SPL measurements both on and off axis and at various distances to determine the best crossover point at which the chosen drivers will behave their best.
• The first step of the optimizing process involves exporting these precise measurements to professional optimizing software. While this sophisticated software can “crunch the numbers” rather quickly, the result is only a reliable starting point. The real work begins by massaging the data to conform to your end goals and listening tastes. Depending on the drivers themselves, driver locations and design goals, this process can and usual does take several hours.
• Once we have your theoretical design finished, a mock up of the crossover is built to re-measure and check for accuracy. When your speaker units are introduced to real world loads, in most cases, they behave quite differently than the optimizer would suggest. This is the second biggest advantage of the service.
• After we are satisfied that the finished network conforms to your design goals, the entire test set up is moved to the evaluation room for a thorough audition. With your preferences in mind, we are able to voice the speaker to a variety of music on both solid state or tube equipment as well as digital or analog recordings. This is the third biggest benefit of this service.
• And yet, we are not done. The final crossovers are now constructed. We are happy (if possible) to use any special “brands” of components you require. Inductors are wound to within a turn of specified value and capacitors are matched. The completed networks are then re-measured in the system for a third time to verify the outcome is something you will enjoy for years to come.
•Our service also allows for the customer to adjust for their specific tastes as well as phone support after the sale, should any questions arise.
See our latest custom speakers in "Speaker Systems/Kits".
Total pricing depends on cabinet , speaker driver and network component choices.
Professional Design fees are as follows:
Two way passive $250.00
Three way passive $700.00
Alternate active, DSP crossover
with programing starting at $550.00
We invite you to call for more details on how we can help you design the 2 channel or H/T system of your dreams.