The Anthology Speaker Kit by Curt Campbell and Jim Holtz
The design goal
I established for this project was to come as close as possible to the full-sized Statements II in overall performance but lower costs and offer a different driver configuration that would allow a less
imposing cabinet for better WAF. I had no interest in designing yet another Statements variation but rather establish a new design that offers top-notch performance through careful driver selection with low distortion,
excellent midrange for all types of music, and exceptional dynamic range for home theater use.
Cymbals sound like cymbals and the sound of triangles float in the air. The highs are open and airy with great off-axis dispersion. The 22TFF has excellent sound quality that realistically reproduces the original
performance. It greatly exceeded my expectations for an affordably priced tweeter.
Midrange purity is a top priority in the Anthology’s. Curt and I tested several drivers in the price range we were shooting for and settled on SB Acoustics SB15 coated paper drivers as the best candidate for the job.
They are ultra-low distortion and rival much more expensive 5” drivers for sound quality. This is the latest version of the Anthology’s that includes the updated mid ranges – SB15RRX2C-30-8. The crossover network was also tweaked for accuracy.
How Do They Sound?
If you are in love with detail, realism, and a big realistic soundstage like I am, the Anthology’s won’t disappoint you. They’re smooth, detailed, and dynamic with the right amount of bite to realistically recreate
the performance you’re listening to. The Anthology’s will be compared to the various Statements and the Finalists since they are all open-back designs. The Anthology’s are not designed to replace any of them but rather to offer an additional lower cost and smaller profile option with big dynamic performance and a stellar midrange. Their reduced height offers WAF benefits that make it easier to build just one more speaker! Take your pick and enjoy!
You can read what Jim says about them in the pdf write up below.
When you buy the Bare Bones version, here is what you get:
- 2 x SEAS, 22TFF soft dome tweeters
- 4 x SB Acoustics, SB15NRX2C30-8 coated paper cone midranges.
- 4 x Dayton, RS225-8, Aluminum cone woofers
- 2 x Crossover parts with Jim’s suggested Audyn Q4 / Solen caps, Specified air-cored inductors, and sand-cast / Zisters resistors.
- All Build Plans
When you add the Full Kit option, here is what is included:
- 2 x Choice of Input Terminals
- 2 x Flared Precision Port Tubes
- 2 x All Damping Foam
- 2 x Color-coded Internal Hookup Wire
- 2 x All mounting hardware for drivers – plus the option of fancier Socket Head wood screws.
- Boards for crossover assembly plus solder lugs
- The option of getting the PVC Mid enclosures. – wood, rectangular enclosures are fine. Jim liked the ease of the tubes.
- All build plans
Have trouble reading a circuit diagram or new to soldering? The crossovers can be assembled for a nominal charge.