The PLA114-6 is a planar ribbon tweeter. Conductive tracings are implanted in a flat Kapton® membrane. Strong neodymium magnets and an electrical current cause the diaphragm to move, creating the high-frequency sound. Planar tweeters have a detailed and airy sound. They also make good super tweeters with their high sensitivity.
We find this a good replacement for the Ribbons used in older Legacy Audio systems.
- 72mm wide by 114mm tall black powder coated metal front plate
- 70mm x 30mm diaphragm area
- Kapton® former with aluminum foil conductor
- Strong Neodymium magnets
- 6 ohm impedance
- 95dB sensitivity
- frequency range from 1.5kHz to 35kHz
- Recommended lowest crossover point 2.5kHz with steep slope
- 15W RMS power handling *
* The music power rating is much higher than an RMS rating. A RMS is full spectrum at a constant output, where music has different levels of output at different frequencies.
The PLA114-6 comes in three parts. The front flange, the tweeter body and the rear chamber. There are several possibilities here. Tweeter without chamber as dipole. Tweeter body by itself dipole. Tweeter body with chamber. You’ll have to work out the screws on your own, perhaps shortening them or adding nuts as need for your modification.
There are removable felt pads in the rear slots on the tweeter body. You might try leaving those in or taking them out. The chamber is also filled with felt padding.
This unit is also tied to the Tianle brand.