The “Blues” MTM Kit, by Matt Sobie
Matt’s cousin, Andrew, had a brief listen to the Blues TM, and was hooked. He wanted more output for his H/T system, so the MTM version was designed.
Preliminary tests show the woofer would work well in a 28L or smaller cabinet, and with a little help from us, a nice 4th order acoustic network was designed.
Not only did they pass the listening tests of Matt, and his Cousin Andrew, but the drivers look pretty sexy as well. The name was inspired by a beer carton sitting nearby the work area.
The full kit comes with everything you need except the cabinet. We are happy to delete, or substitute items. Please note that this kit is sold as a single, as many choose this for a center channel, or purchase 3 units for an LCR
When you order the Blues MTM Bare Bones Kit, Here is what you get:
- 1 x SB, SB26STAC Tweeters
- 2 x HiVi Research, L6-4R woofers (this is an 8-ohm system – woofers are wired in series)
- 2 x Crossover components with Audyn Q4 capacitors standard, Sand Cast resistors, and optimal DCR inductors.
- Complete Build Plans
When you order the Full Kit you get the above parts plus:
- 1 x Crossover boards and terminals
- 1 x Input Terminals – choice of input terminals
- 1 x Internal hookup wire -Color-coded twisted pair
- Optional push-on, solderless connectors.
- 1 x Internal Damping material – Dacron
- 1 x Port Tubes – not pictured
- 1 x Mounting hardware. Panhead standard with a choice of Socket Head cap screws.
There is an added option for a fully assembled, and matched crossover if your soldering skills are lacking.
Building the Mass Loaded Transmission Line version (MLTL)? Extra Dacron damping option is available.
No sooner did we have the design finished, when a local home theater installer ordered an LCR system from us. We were able to hear them before he picked them up, and was quite impressed by the upper bass attack. They appear to play well beyond their price category.