The “Continuum II” loudspeaker kit by Jeff Bagby
One of the more sought after kits from Jeff Bagby which models the LS3/5a system originally designed for the BBC in England. See the write-up in the pdf below for design details. The Continuum remains true to the original BBC specification in the implementation of what the BBC called “Acoustic Scaling,” often referred to as the “BBC Dip.”
The “II” version is the result of the original tweeter being no longer available. Jeff discussed a few options on what to call the new version and settled on the simple, “II” version. (I suggested the “Discontinuum” )🙂
How is this different?
The “II” version is the next generation that uses the Morel, CAT308 tweeter instead of the discontinued, RS28A. The results using the new tweeter are exceptional.
Can I use the newer version – RST28A – when it becomes available? No, the response of the new version is very different and will require a redesign.
The Morel tweeters use the same physical cut out so switch out is simple. The terminals are at different locations, so you will need to tweak the cutouts for this.
The kit consists of everything you’ll need except the cabinet. Cabinet plans are included.
When You Buy These, Here’s What You Get:
Included in this kit are the full build plans. You can purchase is in two forms, depending on your resources: ( We give Jeff a small commission on every sale!)
The Bare Bones Version:
- 2 x Morel, CAT-308, Soft dome tweeter
- 2 x Aurum Cantus, AC130F1, 5.25″ Poly Cone mid-woofer
- 2 x Crossover components featuring a choice of capacitors, resistors, and specified Air Core Inductors.
Need all the goodies?
The Full Kit Package:
- Choice of Input Terminals
- All mounting hard hardware (screws) (Hardware option to make the front and back baffles removable – pictured above)
- The internal foam damping material
- Color-coded hookup wire
- Optional push-on connectors
- MDF boards for mounting the crossover parts.
Have trouble soldering or reading a crossover diagram? We can assemble them for you at a nominal charge.