The “Finalist Monitor “ Loudspeaker Kit by Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell
How Do They Sound?
The NE149’s are overachievers when it comes to bass extension and reproduction in general. With a bit of front wall reinforcement, they produce usable bass well into the ’30s, yet still shine in their midrange performance. The CA328’s are just amazing.
Curt says, “In summary: Voiced very similarly to the Finalists, they will make excellent surround speakers or mains for smaller venues. They play acceptably loud in normal to larger sized rooms. In fact, they were easy for me to forget that I was clinically listening to them, and instead got caught up listening to the music. I suggest that’s what good speakers are supposed to do; get out of the way and let the music define the moment.”
Included in this kit are the full build plans. You can purchase is in two forms, depending on your resources:
The Bare Bones Version:
- 2 x Morel, CAT328 Tweeters
- 2 x Vifa, NE149-8, mid-woofers
- 2 x Crossover parts, Choice of Capacitors, Lynk resistors, and specified inductors.
- Complete plans –
The Full Kit Package:
- 2 x Choice of the Input Terminals (Big Posts are shown in photo)
- 2 x Flared Port Tubes
- All mounting hard hardware (screws)
- Internal damping material
- Color-coded hookup wire
- Optional push-on connectors
- Gasket sealing tape
- MDF boards for mounting the crossover parts.
Upgrade Your Series Capacitors?
There are a great number of brands to choose from. Don’t see your favorite, just ask.
Have trouble soldering or reading a crossover diagram? We can assemble them for you at a nominal charge.