Mandolin 2 MTM Loudspeaker Kit by Jeff Bagby
This is the MTM version of the Mandolin 2 also designed by Jeff Bagby. It is a 4 Ohm speaker system, so it is important to have a high current amplifier. The kit features drivers from SB Acoustics. The pdf link below contains information on the standard Mandolin, not the MTM. They both have similar design objectives, but the MTM has about 3db more output.
Only a small tweak to the crossover was necessary to bring the “2” version up to date and a slight change to the box tuning. I hadn’t listened to the Mandolin for some time, but it was a pleasure to reacquaint myself with them. This tweeter was the first offering from SB and I am still surprised at the detail that emits from it. The updated woofer still has that low-end punch but the mids are now more present and open.
Please note – this is sold as a single unit as it can be used as a center speaker or you may buy 3 for a LCR, front system. The full kit has all the parts included to build one kits, except for the cabinet. Plans are included.
When you buy the Mandolin 2 MTM, here’s what you get:
Included in this kit are the full build plans. You can purchase is in two forms, depending on your resources:
The Bare Bones Version:
- 2 x SB Acoustics, SB29RDAC-C000-4 Ring Dome Tweeters
- 2 x SB Acoustics, SB17NRX2C35-8 Woofers
- 2 x Crossover components featuring Audyn Q4 as standard and wire wound ceramic resistors. You may upgrade capacitors. You may also upgrade resistors. Inductors are specified by type and resistance by Jeff.
- Build Plans
The Full Kit Package:
- 2 x Choice of the Input Terminals
- 2 x Flared Port Tubes
- All mounting hard hardware (screws) 2 types
- Internal damping material
- Color-coded hookup wire
- Optional push-on connectors
- Gasket sealing tape
- MDF boards for mounting the crossover parts.
Not good at soldering or reading the crossover diagram? There is also the option for an assembled and tested crossover.