The “Travelers” Loudspeaker Kit by Jim Holtz and Curt Campbell
Curt did his usual magic and let the drivers choose the crossover point, and they went low, taking advantage of the SB15CAC and OW2 excellent capabilities in that area. This also led to a rather simple crossover topology for a three-way design.
How Do They Sound?
Curt says, “In summary: Voiced very similarly to the Finalists, they will make excellent surround speakers or mains for smaller venues. They play acceptably loud in normal to larger sized rooms. In fact, they were easy for me to forget that I was clinically listening to them, and instead got caught up listening to the music. I suggest that’s what good speakers are supposed to do; get out of the way and let the music define the moment.”
Jim says, “ I am really impressed with this driver combo. The mids are just superb with exceptional detail and clarity while remaining very smooth and natural sounding. I’ve also found the OW-2 to be an excellent companion for the top end. I’ve been listening to the Travelers for the last month or two, switching back and forth with the Bordeaux. Each has its strengths but I think the Travelers might hold a slight edge in the mids. It takes critical listening in a home environment with good front-end equipment and stellar recordings to discern quality differences but they are there and the Travelers sound great. Curt really did a great job with the crossover.”
What do I Get?
Included in this kit are the full build plans. You can purchase is in two forms, depending on your resources:
The Bare Bones Version:
- 2 x Hiquphon, OW2 Tweeters
- 2 x SB Acoustics, SB15CAC30, mid-woofers – Option for “Black Aluminum” (non ceramic)
- Option to purchase the 6″ PVC mid-range tunnels
- 2 x Dayton, RS225 Woofers
- Crossover parts(pair), Cebo tweeter capacitors are standard at Audyn price. Audyn Q4 capacitors in Midrange and Woofer Section.
- Sand Cast tweeter resistors with upgrades available.
- Curt’s specified inductors, and 25-watt Zisters for the midrange circuit standard.
- Complete plans
The Full Kit Package adds:
- 2 x Choice of the Input Terminals (Big Posts are shown in photo)
- 2 x Flared Port Tubes
- All mounting hard hardware (screws)
- Internal damping material
- Color-coded hookup wire
- Optional push-on connectors
- Gasket sealing tape
- MDF boards for mounting the crossover parts.
Upgrade Your Series Capacitors?
There are a great number of brands to choose from. Don’t see your favorite, just ask.
Have trouble soldering or reading a crossover diagram? We can assemble them for you at a nominal charge.